The former INAREK/SBB Ethics Sub-Committee has been renamed as The Ethics Committee for Master and PhD Theses in Social Sciences and Humanities (Sosyal ve Beşeri Bilimler Yüksek Lisans ve Doktora Tezleri Etik İnceleme Komisyonu - SOBETİK)
Dates for SOBETİK Meetings (Deadline to submit applications):
February 8 (Deadline is February 1)
March 1 (Deadline is February 22)
March 22 (Deadline is March 15)
April 12 (Deadline is April 5)
May 3 (Deadline is April 26)
May 24 (Deadline is May 17)
June 14 (Deadline is June 7)
The Committee does not meet during the summer term.
IMPORTANT: All materials must be submitted at least one week before the meeting dates. For all questions please write here: email@example.com.
The Ethics Committee for Master and PhD Theses in Social Sciences and Humanities (SOBETİK)
SOBETİK carries out ethical review of research related to graduate theses and projects conducted within the Institute for Graduate Studies in Social Sciences (the list of academic programs overseen by the Institute for Graduate Studies in Social Sciences can be seen here).
- The Thesis/Project Advisor decides whether a thesis/project requires an ethical review or not. If the Thesis/Project Advisor concludes that it requires an ethical review, students must obtain the ethical approval of SOBETİK.
- It is the student's responsibility to apply for ethical review and follow the process in close consultation with the Thesis/Project Advisor.
- In case participants in the study are from another Institution, obtaining ethical approval from that institution is under researcher's responsibility.
SOBETİK aims to protect:
- the health and safety of researchers
- the health, safety, welfare, dignity, human rights and privacy of research participants
- the reputation of the Institute for Graduate Studies in Social Sciences as a center for properly conducted and high quality research
A submission for ethical approval requires a completed Application Form, Consent Form(s), and other additional documents (interviews, surveys, experiment setups, etc.) to be used in the research. Application Form and Consent Form(s) can be downloaded below:
Consent Form above contains examples regarding different cases. Applicants can modify these examples taking into account the instructions given in the relevant section of the Application Form.
These forms are updated and released on September 26, 2022. All submission after this date must comply with the updated versions of the forms, otherwise they will not be evaluated.
- Completed forms and other documents must be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please make sure that Thesis/Project Advisor is added as CC in the e-mail).
- The applications need to be submitted at least one week before the meeting dates by e-mail.
- Ethics Committee approval is required before starting data collection, including the pilot study.
SOBETİK conducts a review process that evaluates all potential risks and/or adverse effects of the thesis/project. Notifications regarding the outcome of applications will be sent to students by e-mail. The outcome will be one of the following:
- Approval: No revision required
- Conditional Approval: Minor revisions required
- Revision: Resubmission of all forms and documents with revisions required
- Rejected: Ethically unsound
Those whose applications are approved by e-mail may collect their formal letters of approval from the Institute's Office (SBE).
The revised applications must be resubmitted in response to the revision e-mail. All revisions must be highlighted.